Kauno kolegija/ University of Applied Sciences (KK) is large and constantly evolving accredited public higher education institutions in the Baltic region. It is a state - owned institution offering more than 50 study programmes with practical bias for about 6000 students studying at 4 faculties and approximately 540 teaching staff. It offers a wide spectrum of study programmes. High quality studies and attention to student needs while striving to become a leading institution with a successful impact on socio-economical changes in the region and the country are the main goals of our university. We are committed to educate highly qualified specialists in the fields of engineering, technology, social science, humanities, health and arts and to contribute as much as we can to the welfare of Lithuanian people making the country’s economy more competitive.
The strategic aspirations of KK include interaction of scientific and educational activities, integration of research into the study process, introduction of innovations, concern for students’ needs and competence development.
The success of Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences is based on the partnership among students, teachers and employers in the process of training specialists who acquire higher education and practical skills within a shorter period, usually of three years. Close cooperation between Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences and employers has a positive influence on student employment in enterprises and other institutions.
International cooperation is one of Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences' priority areas. Participation in international networks and programs ensures active implementation of provisions of the Bologna Process in academic and other activities. International cooperation aims for improving the quality of studies, applied research and ensures the compliance of Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences graduates skills with continuously changing needs of the international labor market.
The Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences community cooperates with other education and research institutions, organizations and associated business structures. This cooperation is carried according to the aims of the study process, needs of the international labor market and the strategy of regional development.
It is highly respected here – representatives delegated by students actively participate in the activities of institutional self – government.
Facts and Figures
- Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences was established on 1 September 2000 after the binary higher education system consisting of two types of higher education provided by colleges and universities was introduced in Lithuania.
- Today Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences is one of the largest colleges in Lithuania.
- About 1.600 students graduate from the university every year.
- The institution delivers the first cycle studies in the fields of engineering, technology, social sciences, humanities, health and arts.
- All the degree programs are designed with the goal to equip the learners with profound theoretical knowledge and to provide the maximum training of practical skills. Approximately 30 to 50 percent of the total study time at Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences is spent on developing student’s practical skills.
- The age of students at Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences year ranged from 18 to 60 years. The average student age is 22-23 years (data of October 2019). The tuition of almost two-thirds of the future professionals is covered by the state, while the remaining students pay tuition fees.
- The learners are positive about the modernization of studies quality: about 80 percent of survey participants noted that studies at the university had met or even exceeded their expectations.
- The university has 4 faculties in Kaunas city and Taurage town. (data of June 2019).
- More than 70 labs and workshops are there. The library consists of 2 departments and has more than 85 thousand publications in Lithuanian, English, German, Russian, French and other languages.
- The students are accommodated in 4 dormitories.
- In the period 2007 – 2019 the university invested over LTL 30 million for the improvement of higher education quality and renovation or new construction of the campus facilities. The improvement works were funded from the European Union Structural Fund and co-financed by the university.
- 12 – The number of areas of studies in which Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences delivers education programs.
- 14 – The number of academic buildings owned by the faculties and centers of Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences.
- 70 – The number of laboratories and workshops where students and teachers conduct research, create research and art projects.
- ~ 100 – The number of teachers who hold degrees in science and art in 2019.
- ~ 30.000 – The number of students who graduated from Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences until 2019.
- ~ 300 – The average number of university students involved in international exchange programs every year.
We provide high-quality higher education focused on practical activities and the needs of the learners and the society, promote applied research and art activities.
Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences is a modern, socially responsible, business-oriented and internationally recognized higher education institution upholding the national culture and traditions.
Responsibility – We see responsibility as a fair and transparent decision making and implementation process where the needs of students, teachers, parents, social partners, employers and other members of the society are duly respected. Responsibility is the fulfillment of commitments by rational use of available resources.
Professionalism – We see professionalism as cognition starting with self-awareness, the belief in our own abilities and abilities of others, the necessity to implement our ideas in a high-quality manner. Professionalism is supported by a continuous pursuit of knowledge, mutual harmony between individuals and the environmental, striving for goals and the desire to become a leader in our field of expertise.
Openness – Openness helps us to recognize, accept, apply and develop innovative solutions, to move forward with the dynamic world of business. Openness is our need and the driving force that encourages sharing of experiences, improvement and change management. Only a free and democratic higher education institution can foster self-conscious and creative personalities.
Respect – We see respect as tolerance for everyone regardless of age, gender, race, attitudes, and beliefs. Respect for everyone’s work and contribution to the joint activity helps to achieve the desired results. Respect for the past, for the culture of our country and our organization, shapes our identity and ensures the continuity of old and the creation of new traditions.
Sense of Community – We see the sense of community as an ongoing process, the outcome of which is close and lasting relations between community members. Our principles are communication and collaboration, sharing of experience, knowledge, and ideas. The efforts of all individual community members joined together to create the success of our institution.
The cornerstone of the quality policy at Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences is the values fostered while implementing its vision and mission statements. The comprehension of Quality is inseparable from the effective implementation of the goals set out and defined in the Strategy 2020. These strategic objectives serve as the basis for improving all the activities of Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences.
We are regularly monitoring, assessing and improving the process of studies and the activities of applied research and arts as well as trying to maintain the most favorable environment for their implementation. We are constantly promoting quality culture and strongly believe that quality depends on our professional success and the learning achievements results since QUALITY is our mutual responsibility.
Co-operation among graduates, employees and other stakeholders should be based on mutual trust. We take participation in both, national and international processes and seek innovations with the view of forthcoming perspectives/needs. We always keep the society informed about our activity achievements. In order to implement the virtues and goals reflected in our vision and mission statements, we work closely together as a team on a day to day basis. We strive to provide high-quality higher education focused around practical activities, the needs of the learners and the society, as well as the need to promote applied research and art activities.
Brooke Cagle / Unsplash
Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences conducts research into the following thematic fields:
- Research into technological sciences (investigations into engineering sciences; food quality and safety; greenery and agro technologies; geodesy and application of IT).
- Research into biomedical sciences (investigations into the quality of life; health care and professional performance of social workers).
- Research into the field of law, management and administration.
- Research into education sciences (investigations into the competence of the academic staff; the development of study environment and modernization of the education system; creative education; as well as prognostic research into specialists’ demand and their integration in the labor market).
Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences was established on 1 September 2000 after the binary higher education system consisting of two types of higher education provided by colleges and universities was introduced in Lithuania.
2005 – Institutional accreditation of Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences completed with excellent evaluation by an international expert panel.
2008 – Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences became the winner of the Quality Competition held by the Education Exchanges Support Foundation. The first prize was received for the Erasmus student and academic staff exchange program.
2010 – Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences started international studies.
2012 – The groundbreaking for the new academic building symbolizing the beginning of the university campus.
2014 – New academic building and modern sports ground open for our community and society.
2020 – Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences is celebrating the 20th anniversary.
The history of Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences dates back to the schools of the interwar period and post-war technical schools. The present Faculty of Technologies grew from the Pulp and Paper Industry School established in Kaunas in 1945. It also comprises the Department of Environmental Enginnering originated from the Horticulture School opened in 1920 and later on transfered to the Faculty of Nature and Mathematics of Kaunas University in 1923 and in 1924 the operation of the school was taken over by the Ministry of Agriculture. In 1925 the school was renamed to Freda Horticulture School of Further Education. Similarly, the Faculty of Business developed from the Technical School of Statistics established in Kaunas in 1954. The Faculty of Medicine has grown from short-term courses for midwives started by professor Pranas Mažylis in 1920 and two-year courses for the sisters of mercy run by the Lithuanian Red Cross. In 1941 these courses became Kaunas School of Nursing. The Faculty of Arts and Education has also grown from the drawing courses when the first Art School in Lithuania was opened at the initiative of the painter Justinas Vienožinskis in 1922. In 1939 the school became a higher education institution. It also comprises the unit originated from Kėdainiai Jonušas Radvila College established in 1993 by the order of the Minister for Culture and Education.
Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences has united the efforts of students, academic staff, alumni, and social partners, joined the variety and potential of different fields of activity and has formed a strong and distinctive organizational culture based on democratic personal and organizational values that have become the landmarks for the present and future activities.
Our institution today
Today Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences is one of the largest professional higher education institutions in Lithuania, with a community of over 6.000 students, about 1.000 employees and about 30.000 graduates, who have successfully established their careers in Lithuanian and foreign companies. The university delivers the first cycle studies leading to the Professional bachelor’s degree. The university has four faculties and one regional department.
The average student age is 22-23 years. The tuition of almost two-thirds of the future professionals is covered by the state, while the remaining students pay tuition fees. Over 1.600 students graduate from the university every year.
50468 Kaunas, Kaunas County, Lithuania