BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying
University of Salford
3 - 4 years
GBP 17,040 / per year *
Earliest start date
* international students; GBP 9,250 - home students
Quantity surveyors manage financial aspects of construction, applying cost engineering to realise value, meet budgets and reach deadlines. If you’re looking for a career where you can influence exciting new developments in our cities, our triple-accredited BSc Quantity Surveying degree course is a route to exciting career prospects, both in the UK and overseas.
Providing a Pathway to professional status, our Quantity Surveying course will advance your financial, technical and managerial construction-related knowledge. Accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) and the Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors (ICES), you’ll be educated to the highest professional standards.
With a focus on your future employability and getting you industry-ready, you will develop a broad spectrum of finance, management, and team working skills. Guided by industry-experienced academic staff, you will study a range of modules that are designed to develop your professional, technical and interpersonal skills, so you are ready to build a rewarding career in the built environment sector when you graduate.
- Study the role of the contemporary quantity surveyor, and gain a critical awareness of the construction lifecycle
- Examine construction law and the commercial practices that affect the use, management and development of land
- Develop an understanding of the interactions between a building and its internal and external environments
- Learn how effective planning and resource management can impact a project and its supply chain
- Explore how risk and value management techniques can optimise whole-life cost solutions
- Benefit from field visits and real-world projects with our established built environment industry partnerships
This is for you if...
- You have a passion for developing, advancing and shaping the future of the built environment
- You're keen to develop knowledge and technical skills in a recognised profession
- You're enthusiastic, a good team player and want to develop professional skills
Delivered full-time over three years, our BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying degree combines theoretical knowledge with practical development, so you can develop professional skills and competencies.
In year one, you’ll explore topics including laws and regulations in the construction and property industry, as you progress to year two, you’ll expand your understanding of the full construction process and may complete an industry placement year. By the final year, you’ll explore advanced modules and complete a research dissertation.
Located at the heart of the largest property and construction market outside of London, Salford is a great place to study quantity surveying. Our experienced academic team draws on strong links with local organisations to ensure you a stimulating range of external guest lecturers, placements and career networking opportunities.
Our Technology 1 module will help you gain the knowledge and skills necessary to describe, evaluate, explain, and apply building construction techniques used in typical low-rise, domestic-type buildings that focus on contemporary construction techniques.
Along with our series of theoretical modules, you will benefit from field visits, practitioner-led lectures and real-world problem-solving work developed for and by an industry that will build your confidence and skills for life once you graduate.
On this course, you will have the option to take an industry placement year between years two and three. Although you will be responsible for securing your placement, our tutors will support you in finding a role, and monitor your progress throughout.
Industry placements are an excellent way to enhance your CV, gain hands-on work experience and build industry connections. We often find that placement students achieve higher final-year grades.
- Introduction to Law and Regulatory Framework
- Technology 1
- Quantity Surveying Private and Commercial Practice 1
- Quantity Surveying Discipline Project 1
- Economics and Management
- Environmental Science and Services
- Construction Process Management
- Quantity Surveying Private and Commercial Practice 2
- Construction Economics
- Multi-Disciplinary Project
- Technology 2
- Procurement and Administration
- Quantity Surveying Discipline Project 2
- Quantity Surveying Private and Commercial Practice 3
- Research Project
- Construction Law and Dispute Resolution
- Risk and Value Management
- Sustainable Design and Construction
We have designed our BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying degree to help you to develop a range of technical and professional skills that will make you highly employable. Along with gaining a solid understanding of the built environment, you will build communication and presentation skills, develop your collaborative techniques and acquire project management skills during your studies.
The global construction industry continues to grow, and there is strong demand for qualified surveying professionals both in the UK and throughout the world. As a quantity surveying graduate, you will be equipped for graduate and entry-level roles across the built environment.
As a quantity surveyor, you can typically expect to find roles working in both the public and private sectors. Popular destinations for graduates include construction companies, project management consultancies, and government departments. Today, you will find our quantity surveying alumni working with leading construction industry organisations, including Lend Lease, Kier, Laing O'Rourke, Gardiner and Theobald and Balfour Beatty.