BSc (Hons) Sport Management
University of Portsmouth
Southsea, United Kingdom
3 - 4 years
GBP 9,250 / per year *
Earliest start date
* for UK/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students/EU residents | £16,200/year: international students
Devise marketing campaigns for top sports brands. Manage community schemes that inspire the next generation to love sport. Organise sponsorship strategies for international sporting events.
Whatever your ambitions, this BSc (Hons) Sport Management degree will help you turn your passion for sport into a career.
- Learn from industry experts with experience in delivering community sports programmes and gain practical skills in everything from events management to entrepreneurship
- Plan and market local sports events such as the Great South Run and work with organisations like the Hampshire FA
- Have the chance to study abroad, go on overseas field trips and take part in research run by institutions such as UEFA, the FA and the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB)
- Train and coach within our extensive sports facilities, including a 100-station gym, fitness studios, and a new sports centre featuring a ski simulator, climbing wall and 8-lane swimming pool
This course is in the top 10 for Tourism, Transport, Travel and Heritage Studies in the Complete University Guide League Tables 2022.
Scholarships and Funding
You may be able to partly or fully fund the costs of your study with a bursary or scholarship. You can use these alongside student loans, and you don't have to pay them back.
Whether you can get a scholarship or bursary depends on your circumstances. So they aren't available to everyone.
These are the scholarships and bursaries we currently offer to home (UK) students. You may also be eligible for some of these scholarships and bursaries if you have refugee status or are seeking asylum.
- The University of Portsmouth Bursary – £750 a year
- Care Leavers Bursary – £1,750 a year
- Stand Alone Bursary – £1,000 a year
- Young Carers Bursary – £500 a year
- Unite Scholarship – a free place in halls
- Greenwich Hospital Bursary – £3,000 a year
- Sport Scholarship
- NHS Learning Support Fund – at least £5,000 a year
- Best Begins Scholarship – £5,000
- Portsmouth Football Club Partnership Scholarship – £3,000 a year towards course fees
- Sanctuary Scholarship
- Sanctuary Language Bursary
Core modules in this year include:
- Introduction to Sport Data Analytics and Insights – 40 credits
- Introduction to Sport, Business and Management – 40 credits
- Psychosocial Perspectives on the Management of Sport and Physical Activity – 40 credits
There are no optional modules this year.
Core modules in this year include:
- Operational Management in Sport – 20 credits
- Preparing Research, Innovation or Enterprise Projects – 20 credits
- Sport Event Management – 20 credits
- Sports Business Management – 20 credits
- Work-based Learning – 20 credits
Optional modules in this year include:
- Modern Foreign Language (Institution-wide Language Programme) – 20 credits
- Sports Economics – 20 credits
Placement year (optional)
In this course, you can choose an optional placement year between your 2nd and 3rd year of studies or after your 3rd year.
During the study abroad placement year, you'll experience life at a university in another country. Alternatively, you can spend a year developing your experience in the industry in the UK or abroad with the work placement year.
We’ll help you secure a work placement that fits your situation and ambitions. You’ll get mentoring and support throughout the year.
Core modules in this year include:
- Sales and Marketing in Sport – 20 credits
- Professional Development – 20 credits
- Project – 40 credits
- Sport Entrepreneurship and Business Venturing – 20 credits
- Strategic Management in Sport – 20 credits
There are no optional modules in this year.
We use the best and most current research and professional practice alongside feedback from our students to make sure course content is relevant to your future career or further studies.
Therefore, some course content may change over time to reflect changes in the discipline or industry, and some optional modules may not run every year. If a module doesn’t run, we’ll let you know as soon as possible and help you choose an alternative module.
Either before or following your third year, you can opt for a work placement year to gain valuable longer-term work experience in the industry.
Placements give you the opportunity to apply what you've learnt so far in a real workplace, boosting your employability and making you attractive to employers after graduation.
You can work for a company or organisation here in the UK or overseas – some of our graduates have gone as far afield as Mwanza in Tanzania.
Or, you could go independent by setting up and running your own business with other students.
Whichever route you choose, you'll receive support and guidance. Our specialist team of Science and Health Careers advisors can help you with finding a work placement and improving your employability skills. They'll provide you with a database of placement vacancies, support with your job search – including help with applications and interviews – and support throughout your placement year.
Previous students have taken placement roles such as:
- basketball development manager
- sports marketing manager
- sales, marketing and social media intern
- sport leader and event leader
They've completed placements at organisations including:
- Access Sport
- Decathlon UK
- The Great Run Company
- Active Communities Network
You’ll have the chance to do an overseas field trip to experience sports management in other communities and cultures.
Previous students have travelled to Barcelona to carry out their own research projects on areas including urban sport, Olympic legacy, and the impact of tourism and city infrastructure.
You'll also have the option to study abroad for a year in Europe, South Asia, Canada or North America.
This is a fantastic opportunity to explore a new destination and study as an international student at a partner university in another part of the world. Many of our students describe their time spent studying abroad as truly unforgettable, as well as an excellent way to stand out to future employers.
Sports science at the University of Portsmouth is ranked 3rd of all post-1992 universities for research quality
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021
In this course, you'll explore sport’s role in society and how sports management and development can make sport accessible to all, yet the business skills you'll gain will prepare you for a wide range of careers.
When you graduate, you'll be ready to apply corporate, management, financial and marketing knowledge to an exciting career within the sports industry or any other sector that interests you.
90% of our graduates find work within a year of completing this course, so you can feel confident that what you learn will set you up for the world of work.
What jobs can you do with a degree in sport management?
Our graduates have gone on to roles such as:
- sports development officer
- sports marketing executive
- data analyst
- sponsorship executive
- football coach
- sports agent
- event manager
- strategy manager
- PE teacher
Others have entered more diverse areas of employment, such as sports law, local government, strategic leadership, consultancy and the charity sector.
Our Careers and Employability Service will give you advice and support for up to 5 years after you leave the University and can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the industry.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.