BA (Hons) Global Communication and Media
University of Portsmouth
Southsea, United Kingdom
3 - 4 years
GBP 9,250 / per year *
Earliest start date
* for UK/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students/EU residents | £15,500/year: international students
Explore scholarship opportunities to help fund your studies
Entertainment and information media now influence almost every part of our lives. At the same time, the emergence of global communication technologies has changed how we consume, create and share media across social, cultural, geographic, political and economic divides.
Set yourself up for a career as a global media professional capable of navigating this challenging yet exciting environment on this Global Communication and Media dual degree.
You'll study in Portsmouth and spend a year at Edith Cowan University in Perth, Western Australia.
- Discover how effective communication can contribute to a more tolerant and inclusive society
- Explore the latest professional techniques and methodologies used by national and international journalists, film directors, broadcasters and media professionals
- Use the latest digital technologies and facilities such as a fully equipped newsroom and broadcasting studios
- Learn from expert staff with industry-relevant experience who are engaged in research projects that analyse and inform the future of communication and media
- Boost your CV with opportunities to go on work placements and work on projects with local, national and global organisations
Advantages of dual degrees
- This course is a dual degree (also known as a double degree).
- When you complete the course successfully, you'll have 2 degrees – one from the University of Portsmouth and one from Edith Cowan University.
- Dual degrees allow you to achieve 2 degrees in 3.5 or 4 years rather than 6.
- You'll benefit from a global education experience and the high-calibre teaching expertise, latest research and modern facilities at two universities. You'll also develop a more comprehensive knowledge of communication and media than on a single degree and gain an understanding of different cultures, which will help you work more effectively with people from different backgrounds.
This will help you stand out in a competitive job market after graduation.
Location – Portsmouth and Perth, Australia
- You'll be based in Portsmouth in years 1 and 2, and for six months at the end of the course. You'll spend year 3 in Perth, Western Australia, at Edith Cowan University.
- You'll get support with travel arrangements, visas, finding accommodation and accessing loans and other funding that can help pay for your study and living costs in Australia.
- Edith Cowan University is one of the top 100 young universities in the world and one of the top 100 universities in the Asia-Pacific regions (Times Higher Education 2019 and 2020). The Good Universities Guide 2021 gives the University 5 out of 5 stars for its learner resources, student support, teaching quality and overall experience.
- Like Portsmouth, Perth offers a mix of city and outdoor living. It's a great base for exploring Western Australia and beyond.
Focusing on your interests
You can shape your degree to your interests, strengths and career aspirations by choosing specific optional modules.
You'll graduate with one of the following exit awards alongside your BA Global Media and Communication degree from Edith Cowan University:
- BA (Hons) Global Communication and Media (Media and Journalism)
- BA (Hons) Global Communication and Media (Screen, Media and Cultural Studies)
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.