BBA in Sport Management
Siena Heights University
USD 28,000 / per year
Earliest start date
Siena Heights University’s Sport Management Program ensures that students receive a solid background in business knowledge and skills. Students also receive a strong sports foundation that challenges them to examine the culture of the sport, reflect on the ethical dimensions of sport, analyze critical issues in sport, as well as, study and participate in event planning, marketing, and sport management.
Siena Heights University distinguishes itself from other institutions by offering a Sport Management program based on a strong business core, including management, marketing, economics, ethics, law, finance, and strategic planning.
Reflecting a strong commitment to the liberal arts, students in this major also receive a broad general education with a focus on social foundations including sociology, psychology, and the history of the sport.
The Sport Management Program is housed in the Business and Management Division where students earn a BBA. Graduates experience high placement rates in the competitive business industry and also attend graduate school.
The program is based on theory and application. At Siena Heights University, students are afforded the opportunity to study the liberal arts including critical social foundations as well as business. Our students also get many opportunities to connect classroom learning to experience in the sports industry. The program is also designed to give students leadership experience in the field.
Students complete their program with an internship that gives them the opportunity to solve complex sport business problems in real-world circumstances.
The highlight of the Siena Heights University Sport Management Program is the field experience component that provides students the chance to complete two practical, real-world experiences.
The first is a 150-hour practicum that gives students an introduction to the sports field and lets them explore possible careers.
During their senior year, students complete a 40-hour-per-week internship that spans an entire academic semester. This experience gives students the opportunity to gain valuable experience related to their career aspirations and a chance to begin building their own professional network.
Students have completed internships at a variety of college, professional, and other sports organizations including the following:
- Detroit Tigers
- Detroit Red Wings
- Lenawee County YMCA
- Michigan International Speedway
- Michigan State University Athletic Department
- Palace Sports and Entertainment
- The University of Toledo
- Toledo Mud Hens
- University of Tennessee Athletic Department
Siena Heights University Sport Management students get hands-on experience in their first year through community-based learning projects. Students collaborate with the Boys and Girls Club of Lenawee County and the Adrian Parks and Recreation Department to coordinate sports programs including a flag football program, family day event, awards ceremony, and fall festival.
These community-based learning partnerships provide students the opportunity to combine theoretical and practical experiences while contributing to local organizations.
- Our program is based on theory and experiential learning, gaining direct experience in the field of sport through competitive internships and community-based learning projects;
- A case-based curriculum where students complete in-class cases that challenge them to solve real business problems while applying critical and integrative thinking skills;
- A high placement rate after graduation, with many students attending graduate school on graduate assistantships.
Scholarships and Funding
Did you know that approximately 90 percent of undergraduate students on the Adrian campus receive some form of financial assistance? Our admissions counselors and financial aid experts are committed to helping you find the best financial solutions for your education. Siena offers a wide range of opportunities that may be right for you, including:
- Academic scholarships
- Arts scholarships
- Athletic scholarships
- Campus Ministry scholarships
- Work-study programs
- Federal loans
Your university financial aid package may include some or all of the above, resulting in a customized plan that makes Siena Heights University affordable for your family.
Course Requirements for Major
Program Requirements: 30 credit hours
- SMG 210 Introduction To Sport Management 3 credit hours
- SMG 350 Management Of Sport Organizations 3 credit hours
- SMG 360 Sport Marketing 3 credit hours
- SMG 365 Sport Facility And Event Management 3 credit hours
- SMG 370 Research Methods In Sport Management 3 credit hours
- SMG 463 Legal And Ethical Issues In Sport 3 credit hours
- SMG 475 Sport Finance And Business 3 credit hours
- SMG 495 Strategic Management in Sport Business 3 credit hours
Sport Management Electives: 6 credit hours
Choose two (2) below
- SMG 221 Sport Psychology 3 credit hours
- SMG 222 Performance Psychology In Sport 3 credit hours
- SMG 285 Special Topics 3 credit hours
- SMG 342 Sport In American Society 3 credit hours
- SMG 343 History of Sport 3 credit hours
- SMG 444 Sport And The Media 3 credit hours
- SMG 445 Cultural Studies In Sport 3 credit hours
- SMG 485 Special Topics 1-3 credit hours
Field Experience: 12-15 credit hours
- SMG 280 Sport Management Practicum 3 credit hours *
- SMG 480 Sport Management Internship 9-12 credit hours *
Cognate Requirements: 23 credit hours
- ACC 203 Principles of Accounting I 4 credit hours
- ACC 240 Principles of Accounting II 4 credit hours
- BAM 201 Business Communications 3 credit hours
- BAM 441 Managerial Communications 3 credit hours
- ECO 221 Microeconomics 3 credit hours
- MAT 142 Statistical Reasoning Via Application And Simulation 3 credit hours
- MAT 143 Statistics And Society 3 credit hours
- MAT 174 Data Analysis And Statistics 3 credit hours
- MKT 310 Marketing Principles And Cases 3 credit hours
Choose three courses from the list below:
- BAM 210 Business Applications Software 1 credit hours
- BAM 211 Business Visual And Media Technology 1 credit hours
- BAM 212 Business Publication Design 1 credit hours
- BAM 213 Internet And Business Applications 1 credit hour
Total for Major 65-68 credit hours
Liberal Arts 29: credit hours
General Electives: 23-26 credit hours
Total for Degree: 120 credit hours
* Students must have a 2.5 GPA in the major to complete a practicum experience and a 2.7 GPA in the major to complete the internship experience.
- The program, field experience, and cognates require a combined minimum 2.50 GPA
- Only 3 credit hours of SMG 285/SMG 485 count toward the major.
- Transfer students must complete a minimum of 18 credits within program requirements, field experience, and cognates at Siena Heights University. For Sport Management majors at least 12 of these 18 hours must be “SMG” courses (excluding SMG 280 and SMG 480).
- SMG 280, SMG 475, SMG 480, and SMG 495 must be taken at Siena Heights University.
- MKT 310 must be completed at Siena Heights University.
Accounting: 15 Credit Hours
- ACC 341 Intermediate Accounting I 3 credit hours
- ACC 342 Intermediate Accounting II 3 credit hours
- Two approved accounting electives: 6 Credit Hours
- One approved business elective other than ACC: 3 Credit Hours
Health Care Management: 15 Credit Hours
- HCM 301 Perspectives In Health Care Management 3 credit hours
- HCM 440 Medical Ethics/Legal Aspects Of Health Care 3 credit hours
- HCM 441 Financial Management Of Health Care Institutions 3 credit hours
- Two approved business electives other than HCM: 6 Credit Hours
Information Technology Management: 15 Credit Hours
- ITM 365 Management Of Information Technology 3 credit hours
- ITM 370 Electronic Commerce 3 credit hours
- ITM 460 Information Technology Project Management 3 credit hours
- Two approved business electives other than ITM: 6 Credit Hours
Entrepreneurship: 15 Credit Hours
- BAM 311 Business Ethics 3 credit hours
- BAM 411 Business And Society 3 credit hours
- BAM 480 Cooperative Internship Experience 3 credit hours
- FIN 440 Financing New Ventures 3 credit hours
- MGT 440 Entrepreneurship And Small Business Management 3 credit hours
One approved ACC, BAM, ECO, FIN, MGT, or MKT elective: 3 Credit Hours
Finance: 15 Credit Hours
Choose three of the following: 9 Credit Hours
- FIN 209 Personal Finance 3 credit hours
- FIN 309 Personal Financial Planning 3 credit hours
- FIN 322 Investments 3 credit hours
- FIN 348 Money And Capital Markets 3 credit hours
- FIN 440 Financing New Ventures 3 credit hours
- FIN 450 International Finance 3 credit hours
- FIN 463 Financial Statement Analysis 3 credit hours
- Two approved business electives other than FIN: 6 Credit Hours
International Business: 16 Credit Hours
- BAM 470 International Business Environment 3 credit hours
- ECO 342 Comparative Economic Systems 3 credit hours
- MKT 470 Global Marketing 3 credit hours
- BAM 329 Managing Cultural Differences 3 credit hours
- FIN 450 International Finance 3 credit hours
- One semester of a language: 4 Credit Hours
- One approved business elective: 3 Credit Hours
Management: 15 Credit Hours
- Three management courses above MGT 302: 9 Credit Hours
- Two approved business electives other than MGT, at least one at 300/400 level: 6 Credit Hours
Marketing: 15 Credit Hours
- Three marketing courses above MKT 310: 9 Credit Hours
- Two approved business electives other than MKT, at least one at 300/400 level: 6 Credit Hours
Program Tuition Fee
Students graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Sport Management from Siena Heights University will be well prepared to enter numerous sectors within the sports industry, including professional, intercollegiate, recreational management, event, and facility management and marketing, governing bodies, sporting goods management, and sales and media.
Specific careers may include the following:
- Account Executive
- Assistant Athletic Director of Academics
- Associate Athletic Director of Development
- Assistant General Manager for Marketing and Promotions
- Athletic Director
- Director of Corporate Partnerships
- Director of the Community Sport Programs
- Director of Public Relations
- Director of Facility Operations
- Director of Sport Marketing
- Director of Team Operations
- Director of Ticketing
- Manager of Community Development
- New Media Marketing Program Manager
- General Manager
- Group Sales
- Sport Agent
- Sport Writer
- Web Content Assistant