IPB University is a higher education institution that produces innovations with a nationally and internationally acknowledged quality. For ten years straight (2008-2018), IPB has the most innovation compared to other universities in Indonesia base on appraisement from Business Innovation Center – Ministry of Research, Technology, and Higher Education of Indonesia in Indonesia’s Most Prospective Innovation (39,71%).
The success of IPB with all of its achievements cannot be separated from the leadership role of the previous IPB Rectors. The history of IPB's leadership from time to time as follows:
Prof. Dr. Syarif Thayeb (Chairman of IPB Presidium 1963)
Prof. Dr. A.J. Darman (Chairman of IPB Presidium 1963)
Prof. Dr. Tb. Bachtiar Rifai (IPB Rector 1964 - 1965)
Prof. Dr. Sajogyo (IPB Rector 1965 - 1966)
Prof. Dr. J.H. Hutasoit (Chairman of IPB Presidium 1966)
Prof. Dr. Toyib Hadiwidjaja (IPB Rector 1966 - 1971)
Prof. Dr. A.M. Satari (IPB Rector 1971 - 1978)
Prof. Dr. Andi Hakim Nasution (IPB Rector 1978 - 1987)
Prof. Dr. Sitanala Arsjad (IPB Rector 1987 - 1996)
Prof. Dr. Soleh Solahuddin (IPB Rector 1996 - 1998)
Prof. Dr. R.H.M. Aman Wirakartakusumah (IPB Rector 1998 - 2002)
Prof. Dr. Ahmad Ansori Mattjik (IPB Rector 2002 - 2007)
Prof. Dr. Herry Suhardiyanto (IPB Rector 2008 - 2012)
Prof. Dr. Herry Suhardiyanto (IPB Rector 2012 - 2017)
Dr. Arif Satria (IPB Rector 2017 - 2022)
Carrying the tagline "Inspiring Innovation with Integrity", Rector of IPB currently encourages the creation of various innovations and discoveries that benefit the community. IPB also aspires to become a campus that gives birth to young entrepreneurs who encourage national independence in the future.
Brooke Cagle / Unsplash
The Vision of IPB University for the period 2019-2023 is: To become a research-based university and leading in innovation for national independence towards a techno-social entrepreneurial university that excels at the global level in agriculture, marine, tropical biosciences.
The mission of IPB University for the period of 2019-2023 is:
- Organizing higher education by strengthening the research base of the university to produce superior techno-sociopreneur graduates, have a noble character based on faith and piety to God, high nationalism, professional competence, millennium soft skills, leadership, globally insightful and become a trendsetter of innovation and change.
- Pioneering superior and leading research in transformative science and technology for the creation of quality of sustainable life, and innovation for the people's economy and national industry.
- Explore the latest sciences in agriculture, marine, and tropical biosciences to determine trends of current science at the national and global levels.
- Improve proactive services that contribute and solve community problems and enhance roles IPB University in determining the direction of national policy.
- Strengthening the State University management system that is able to guide the development of modern management systems of higher education in the 4.0 era.
The objectives of IPB University for the period of 2019 - 2023 are:
- Produce superior techno-sociopreneur graduates who have a noble character based on faith and piety to God Almighty, have high nationalism, professional competence, millennium soft skills, the soul of leadership, global outlook and become a trendsetter of innovation and change.
- Produce transformative science, technology, and art to create the quality of sustainable life, and concrete innovations for the people's economy and national industry.
- Making IPB University a determinant of the latest sciences in agriculture, marine and tropical biosciences at the national and global level.
- Making IPB University as a university that proactively solves community problems and helps to determine the national policy direction.
- Making IPB University as a pioneer in the development of a modern management system of higher education.
IPB founded on 1 September 1963 as a form of visionary thinking from leaders of the nation and those that care about agriculture higher education so this big nation has a world-class university that has competency in agriculture, bioscience, and various related fields. This matter intended to enhancing food security, bioenergy, job creation, poverty eradication, and preserve the environment. The birth of IPB on 1 September 1963 based on the decision of Minister of Higher Education and Sciences No. 91/1963 that later authorized by the first President of Indonesia with Decision no. 279/1965
Inspiring Innovation with Integrity in Agriculture, Ocean, and Biosciences for Sustainable World
IPB University has been actively participating in preserving the art and culture of Indonesia. The university has a Student Activity Unit (UKM) for students who share common interests in art, such as Lingkung Seni Sunda (Lises) UKM, Gentra Kahneman, Music Agriculture X-pression (Max!!) UKM, and IPB Student Choir (PSM) Agriaswara. In addition, there are also other activities related to art and culture that students can join in IPB University. One of them is Gebyar Nusantara.
"Mens Sana in Corpore Sano", in a healthy body there is a strong soul. Living in a crowded world of lectures does not make IPB University students forget to exercise. In addition to the availability of various sports facilities managed by the Sports and Arts Unit, sports activities among students also live because of the presence of several Student Activity Units (UKM) in the sports field.
Being involved in campus organizations indirectly will build a spirit of leadership and professionalism among students. Students can develop leadership potential and professionalism through various campus organizations including the Student Executive Board (BEM), Student Representative Council (DPM), Student Activity Unit (UKM), Student Association (Himpro), and Community.
College life is closely related to field practice in accordance with the scientific field that is being pursued. Practicum is intended as a means of deepening the material so that students can better understand the practice in real-life every day.
IPB university requires first-year students to live in campus dormitories. This regulation is motivated by various regions of origin of IPB university students. With broad ethnical and cultural diversity, IPB University can be said as a miniature of Indonesia. This cultural diversity was then managed by IPB University through social engineering in the form of compulsory dormitory policies for new students.