Bachelor of Science in Data Science Graceland University
A degree in Data Science from an institution based on the liberal education tradition offers a breadth of knowledge needed to approach and solve complex problems. This emerging field did not exist 10 years ago and is evolving rapidly with the exponential increase of data from online, social media, and the expanding Web of Things.
It is an area in which many disciplines and backgrounds participate. A critical need exists for data scientists who can collect and identify key data, analyze that data using appropriate methods, and draw sound conclusions which inform the decision-making process. Students receive experiential learning paired with coursework that integrates data analysis and decision-making throughout the curriculum.
- Graceland’s essential education encourages critical thinking and well-balanced learning that contributes to creative problem-solving.
- Data science majors engage in a curriculum that integrates data skills including statistics, coding, and content knowledge.
- The data science program is a great choice for anyone seeking careers related to data science and analysis, which can be found in government, areas of industry, and academia.
“Graceland’s data science program is built on the concept of converting data to information so that key questions can be answered and advancements made. In the 21st Century, data skills like those developed in Graceland’s program will be required for successful careers in nearly all areas.”
Jeff Draves, Ph.D. Professor of Chemistry Director of Data Science & Analytics
In addition to the general education requirements, majors in Data Science must complete 35 semester hours of coursework as described below:
- CSIT1100 Principles of Computing – 3
- CSIT1200 Data Structures – 3
- CSIT3300 Database Concepts and SQL – 3
- CSIT4200 Machine Learning – 3
- DSCI1500 Beginning Data Science and Data Analytics – 3
- DSCI4320 Practical Applications of Data Science – 3
- MATH1370 Statistics for Science* – 3
- MATH1510 Calculus I* – 4
- MATH1520 Calculus II – 4
- MATH2350 Discrete Mathematics – 3
- MATH2510 Calculus III – 4
- MATH3340 Linear Algebra – 3
- MATH4350 Probability and Advanced Statistics – 3
*General Education Requirement
A data science major from Graceland University can help to prepare you for these careers:
- Data scientist/analyst
- Computer and information research scientist
- Information security analyst
- Computer systems analyst
- Data engineer/architect
- Business intelligence (BI) developer
- Infrastructure architect
- and many other exciting fields.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.