Bachelor of Science in Biology: General Graceland University
Biology is a Gateway to So Many Fields
Biology students at Graceland study a variety of subjects: biochemistry, molecular genetics, physiology, immunology, zoology, and ecology. Students begin to explore these exciting fields by learning the language of biology to lay a foundation for future studies. They work together to explore new ideas and laboratory techniques, developing professional contacts and lifelong friendships.
Our comprehensive active-learning approach prepares students to pursue a variety of postgraduate studies. Some students enter careers immediately after graduation as teachers, laboratory technicians, and pharmaceutical sales representatives. Others have gone on to post-graduate studies in fields such as medical, dental, veterinary, physician assistant, physical therapy, and pharmacy.
- Students design, conduct and present their own original research in collaboration with a faculty mentor.
- Students learn laboratory techniques and have hands-on experience operating sophisticated laboratory equipment.
- Students learn in a variety of classroom styles in order to promote an active learning experience.
- The biology faculty are experts in their field. All have earned the highest degree possible.
General Biology is one of two concentrations available under the Biology major. In order to complete this program, you must complete both the core requirements for a Biology major and the General concentration requirements. A second concentration in molecular biology and biochemistry is also available.
In addition to the general education requirements, students majoring in Biology must complete at least one concentration with semester hours in Biology and related sciences (42-44 semester hours for the General Biology Concentration).
Core Courses (required for both concentrations)
- BIOL1500 Biology I with Lab – 4
- BIOL1520 Biology II with Lab – 4
- BIOL2100 Cell Biology and Genetics with Lab – 4
- BIOL/CHEM4111 Capstone Research I – 1
- BIOL/CHEM4120 Capstone Research II – 1-2
- BIOL/CHEM4130 Capstone Research III – 1-2
- CHEM1410 General Chemistry I Workshop with Lab – 4
- CHEM1420 General Chemistry II Workshop with Lab – 4
- CHEM1450 Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry – 1
- MATH1370 Statistics for Sciences – 3
One of the following MATH courses:
- General Biology Concentration – MATH1510 Calculus I – 4 or MATH1280 College Algebra – 3
General Biology Track – 22-24 (plus Core Courses)
Choose six of the following courses with two courses in each of the three areas:
- BIOL2430 Animal Biology with Lab – 4
- BIOL2440 Plant Biology with Lab – 4
- BIOL3400 Ecology and Conservation Biology with Lab – 4
- BIOL2360 Microbiology with Lab – 4
- BIOL3310 Molecular Genetics with Lab – 4
- BIOL/CHEM4310 Biochemistry with Lab – 4
- BIOL4460 Cell and Cancer Biology – 3
- BIOL3420 Human Anatomy with Lab – 4
- BIOL3440 Human Physiology with Lab – 4
- BIOL4400 Immunology – 3
A biology major from Graceland University can help to prepare you for a career as a:
- High school or middle school teacher
- Physician assistant
- Research scientist
- and many other exciting fields.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.