Bachelor of Arts in Journalism Communication
USD 17,975 / per semester
Earliest start date
Write the Lead to Your Future Career with a Journalism Communication Degree from Gannon University.
We are the content creators, message makers, and storytellers in a society eager for information. In Gannon’s journalism communication program, you will master techniques in news gathering and storytelling, learn about multiplatform digital media and traditional media, and create important, timely, and accurate stories through an array of media that can shape our world for the better.
- Learn in a program housed with media and arts outlets in the School of Communication and the Arts.
- Gain the knowledge needed to become more marketable in the journalism field and beyond.
- Learn from experienced faculty who are professional journalists, authors, and more.
Inspire Your Academic Success
Gain real-world knowledge in key journalism communication courses including:
- Writing for Print/New Media: Explore the art and science of reporting through lab exercises and live assignments.
- Advanced/Specialized Reporting: Take your knowledge a step further with a focus on specific “beat” coverage areas including criminal justice, local government, education, and the environment while engaging with high-profile officials in each realm.
- Sports Journalism: Learn the art of sports reporting, game coverage, feature writing, and issue stories as you cover Gannon sports, local minor league teams, and more.
- Feature Writing: Choose topics that interest you and produce long-form stories suitable for publication.
Learn to Lead the Way in Journalism Communication
- Acquire the reporting, writing, speaking, and design skills needed to work successfully on multimedia platforms.
- Engage in the production of printed and digital content, photography, graphic design, and layout.
- Hone the practice of identifying and generating engaging content ideas and developing those stories in a fast-paced environment.
Student Learning Outcomes
- The student will be able to thoroughly research and write an extended-form analytical paper.
- The student will be able to research, write, and deliver a sustained-form business presentation using appropriate rhetorical strategies and technology.
- The student will demonstrate and understanding of and participation in the patterns of scholarly and productive discussion using both interpersonal and professional skills.
- The student will design, organize, rehearse, and perform dramatic/or non-dramatic script material.
- The student will be able to identify and participate in the pre-production, production, and post-production processes of theatre and digital media.
- The student will identify and critically describe the historical context of the media and/or the theatre
- The student will recognize the need for adaptability/resilience in the theatre and the electronic arts, and be able to collaborate with faculty, peers, and technology to produce quality theatrical and digital projects.
- The student will recognize the relationship between the work of the School of Communication and the Arts programs and the mission of Gannon University.
Achieve Your Possibilities
Gannon’s journalism communication program will help you build a diverse and impressive portfolio to prepare you for your career. Through an array of exciting opportunities, you can:
- Collaborate on internship opportunities with Fortune 500 companies, local broadcast affiliates of national networks or local networks, local and print publications, health care facilities, and Erie sports teams.
- Secure highly sought-after careers in advertising and copywriting, corporate communication and marketing, film and videography, online and print news, photojournalism, broadcasting, and more.
- Earn an average median wage of $60,000 to $75,000, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.