Bachelor of Science in Sport Management
USD 37,945 / per year *
Earliest start date
* including tuition, fees, supplies, expenses, and transportation before aid and scholarships
There are professional teams in nearly every sport from basketball to soccer. Colleges across the country have sports programs of every kind. Non-professional sports programs thrive in every city. So it is no surprise that sport management is one of the fastest-growing career choices in the country. If you are a sports lover, sport management can point you toward your career goals.
Dive into the cultural and business impact of sports in a program of hands-on, real-world study including dynamic practicums and internships. Learn the principles and processes of sports marketing, promotion, sponsorship, advertising, merchandising, and distribution.
You will examine the economics and finance of sports, as well as the law as it applies to the sports world. The college's Institute for Research in Sports (IRIS) adds another dimension to your learning, as you can research important issues and trends in the field. IRIS also hosts workshops, guest speakers, and networking opportunities in which you can build on your sports management education.
Graduates of the Sport Management program score jobs such as sports agents, athletic directors, recruiters and scouts, team marketing professionals, public relations officers, and contract specialists, to name a few.
Study in the premier sports city of Buffalo, where the college is surrounded by teams including the NFL’s Buffalo Bills, the NHL’s Buffalo Sabres, and the Triple-A affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays, the Buffalo Bisons.
More than 400 Canisius alumni work or have interned with professional sports organizations.
Business Foundation Course Requirements
- ACC 201 Financial Accounting 3
Choose one of the following: 3
- ACC 202 Managerial Accounting
- MGT 360 Organizational Behavior
- MGT 364 Human Resources Management
- ECO 101 Principles of Macroeconomics 3
- ECO 102 Principles of Microeconomics 3
- ISB 101 Management Technology 3
- MGT 101 Introduction to Management 3
Sports Management Course Requirements
- SPMT 150 Introduction to Sport Management 3
- SPMT 230 Sport and Recreation Law 3
- SPMT 241 Practicum in Sport Management 3
- SPMT 245 Technology in Sport 3
- SPMT 302 Sport and Ethics 3
- SPMT 304 Sport, Culture and Society 3
- SPMT 320 Psychology of Sport 3
- PED 351 Coaching Theory and Techniques 3
- SPMT 355 Sports Operation and Planning 3
- SPMT 412 Sport Marketing 3
- SPMT 420 Economics and Finance in Sports Industry 3
- SPMT 430 Sports Communications 3
- SPMT 440 Global Perspective in Sport 3
- SPMT 455 Governance and Policy in Sport Organizations 3
- SPMT 475 Sport Management Professional Development Seminar 3
- SPMT 480 Research Methods in Sport 3
- SPMT 490 Sport Management Internship 6
Arts & Sciences Course Requirements
This degree program also requires 60 hours of Arts &Sciences (non-business & non-education) courses.