Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering
Birmingham City University
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 - 5 years
Full time, Part time
GBP 9,250 / per year *
Earliest start date
* UK students: £9,250 per year | international students: £13,980 per year
Explore scholarship opportunities to help fund your studies
BEng (Hons)/MEng Mechanical Engineering degree will develop you as a skilled engineer capable of undertaking mechanical engineering tasks within and across organisations. The course focuses on the importance of sustainable futures and the Government's STEM agenda, in order to give you the knowledge and attributes you will need to thrive in this ever-changing industry.
You'll work on industry-standard analytical tools, develop your design skills, as well as exploring a wide range of facilities, such as our test cell and exhaust analysis equipment.
What's covered in this course?
Our engineering courses focus on project-based activities, giving you lots of opportunities to work in teams on projects from design to implementation. This will give you practical experience in applying engineering science to real-world problems, working in multidisciplinary teams to develop your interpersonal skills and prepare you for a key aspect of modern engineering practice. Problem-solving and project management are key skills for an engineer, and our focus on practical experience will help to improve your skills in these highly sought-after areas.
During your studies, you will use the latest tools and technologies, developing new skills at an advanced level. The course will encourage your creative thinking and develop your engineering leadership skills. Building on a foundation of the generic skills required by tomorrow’s engineers, you will also explore the wider context of engineering, as well as the application of advanced engineering principles to solve problems through research and development. You’ll engage in independent study and systematic enquiry at an advanced level and take responsibility for the conclusions drawn from it.
You will have lots of opportunities to apply industry-standard modelling and simulation techniques to the analysis, specification and design of mechanical engineering systems so that you are able to apply your knowledge and theory to a practical situation. In this way, we make sure you are ready to step straight into employment.
Professional placement year
This course offers a professional placement year. This allows you to spend a whole year with an employer, between the second and third years of your degree and is a great way to find out more about your chosen career. Some students even return to the same employers after completing their studies.
The University will draw on its extensive network of local, regional and national employers to support you in finding a suitable placement to complement your chosen area of study. If you do not find a suitable placement, you will be automatically transferred back to the standard, non-placement version of the course.
Please note that fees are payable during your placement year, equivalent to 20% of the total full-time course fee for that year (£1,850 for UK students).
Why choose us?
- Accredited course - This course is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) and Technology (IET) and the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE).
- Industrial placement year option - Gain desirable employability skills and work experience with the option of an industrial placement year, that will take place between your second and final year of the course.
- Formula Student events at Silverstone - We are one of the select UK universities with access to take part in our international Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) Formula Student event at Silverstone.
- State-of-the-art facilities - You will be based at our Millennium Point campus in City Centre, where our facilities have undergone a £6.5 million investment with a new maker area, engineering labs/equipment and IT equipment to provide you with the very best learning experience. You will also use our industry-standard equipment and resources, including rapid prototyping, laser-cutting and CNC machining.
- £1.1 million investment in new facilities from the IoT – The Institute of Technology (IoT) has invested in brand-new equipment and facilities, including an Electric Vehicle (EV) Test Rig, an Additive Manufacturing Machine (3D printer) and a material testing-split zone furnace - all industry grade technology that will advance your skills, making you more employable.
- Employable graduates - Our graduates have progressed into roles with leading companies such as Jaguar Land Rover, Morgan Motors, GKN, Bentley, Mercedes, Rolls-Royce and JCB.