Bachelor Degree (B.A.) in Motorsport Management
Belmont Abbey College
Earliest start date
Accelerate Your Success
There’s no state like North Carolina for motorsports, and there’s no college like the Abbey to prepare you for a thrilling career in this fast-paced industry. Your keen interest in racing as well as in marketing, finance, and other areas of business, will drive you toward success. The Abbey will lead the way, with foundational courses in business, leadership, sports law, and risk management; unmatched internships; and inspiring instructors who are well-connected in the industry. A BA in Motorsport Management from the Abbey can lead to careers in NASCAR, Formula One, and Roush, to name a few.
Possible career paths:
- Sponsor Relations
- Public Relations
Lower-level courses to be completed prior to enrolling in any 300 level or higher Motorsport Management course:
- MM 200: History, Culture, and Philosophy of Motorsport
- MM 201: Introduction to Motorsports
Six (6) of the following:
- MM 320: Administration, Governance, and Policy in Motorsport
- MM 330: Motorsport Marketing
- MM 340: Motorsport Facility & Event Management
- MM 360: Motorsport Business and Finance
- MM 370: Public Relations & Media in Motorsport
- MM 399: Special Topics in Motorsport Management
- SM 310: Organizational Theory & Leadership in Sport
- SM 335: Social Media Management in Sport
- SM 350: Sport Law and Risk Management
- SM 370: Sport Broadcasting
Motorsport Management Senior Capstone courses:
- MM 410: Senior Seminar I Motorsport Sponsorship
- MM 411: Senior Seminar II Capstone Project & Portfolio
- MM 450: Internship (3-hour minimum)
Required business courses:
- EC 201: Introductory Economics I
- BU 265: Spreadsheet and Database Applications
- BU 315W: Business Communication
General Elective Courses (25-28 hours):
- A minor in Business and/or Digital Sports Media is highly advised.
*It is the student’s responsibility to verify that all degree requirements for graduation are fulfilled.
In this major, you will have the opportunity to intern at hundreds of local businesses in the Charlotte area, putting your career on the fast track.
Abbey Motorsport students have gone to intern with many of the top names in North American Racing, including the Atlanta Motor Speedway, Charlotte Motor Speedway, Daytona International Speedway, DIRT, Earnhardt Ganassi Racing, NASCAR, NASCAR Foundation, NASCAR Hall of Fame, and many more. Our alumni are becoming leaders in the industry holding positions with NASCAR (Justin Swilling, Account Executive, Industry Services), the NASCAR Hall of Fame (Mike Laheta, see below), Chip Ganassi Racing (Andrew Mulhearn & Ian Moye), Jeff Gordon Inc. (Dan Guffey, see below) and RSM Motorsport (Paige French) to name a few. With our new Executive Director, Pat Wood focused on enhancing partnerships and adding new ones, the Motorsport Management degree is creating real-world business experiences that allow our students to take a giant leap in their careers.
Driving the business of racing
Ten years ago when racing legend Humpy Wheeler brought the idea for an academic program built around motorsport, newly minted President Dr. Bill Thierfelder was intrigued. A decade later the Belmont Abbey College Motorsport Management program has evolved from a field of concentration to a full degree major and has become a viable resource for the racing industry.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.