BA (Hons) in Product Design
Asia Pacific Institute of Information Technology (APIIT)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
USD 20,380 / per year *
Earliest start date
* International Students Year 1: RM 26,300 (USD 6,840) + £ 250 Year 2: RM 27,800 (USD 6,240) + £ 250 Year 3: RM 28,100 (USD 7,300) + £ 250 Total: RM 82,200 (USD 20,380) + £ 750
Explore scholarship opportunities to help fund your studies
This degree will open up a whole world of career and consultancy opportunities. Graduates are working in areas including computer, sports goods, gym equipment, watch design, automotive design, and packaging. Some graduates set up their own businesses or go into marketing, model making, graphics, computer games design, design management and teaching. This programme includes exciting and diverse projects like toys, domestic products, transport, fitness equipment and lighting. Access to excellent workshops, modeling facilities, and software, will enable students to present their work to a professional standard. Core skills are introduced through structured and practical design projects, involving idea generation, drawing and rendering, model making and computer work. Further modules include Concept Generation, Ergonomics, and Usability, Materials and Manufacture and Aesthetics. The programme progresses to cover more advanced CAD projects and the role of Rapid Prototyping. When the opportunity arises students may work on collaborative projects with students and staff from Transport Design, Advertising and Brand Management and other programmes. In Year 3, you will complete a major design project in an area of personal interest. This flexibility gives students the means to indulge in truly original thinking and be innovative. Students may also exhibit their designs to the general public and potential employers at the end of year show.
Route 1: Entry to Year 1
- Successful completion of STPM with 2 full passes or equivalent with minimum CGPA of 2.0 and completion of SPM or equivalent; or
- Successful completion of A-Level with at least a pass in 2 subjects and successful completion of O-Level or equivalent; or
- Recognised Matriculation or foundation with CGPA 2.0; or
- A qualification that APIIT accepts as equivalent to the above.
A Portfolio of Art & Design work which can include:
- Sketch work and finished drawings.
- Photographs of models or other 3D works Art, illustration, photography etc.
- Examples of your computer skills
Please bring in sketch ideas for a “new personal communication device”.
Route 2: Entry to year 2
- Successful completion of the relevant APIIT Diploma, or
- Successful completion of study in another recognised institution with academic credits equivalent to the first year of an honours degree in relevant subjects
All students must demonstrate that they have met the equivalent of IELTS 6.0 either through formal English language assessment or through success in prior study at “A” level or equivalent in English
Topics you will experience include:
- Core Skills I
- Core Skills II
- Course Introduction I
- Course Introduction II
- Digital Design Project
- Industrial Design: History and Context
- Industrial Design: Style & Substance
- Trends and Visual Thinking
- Introduction to Graphic Design
- Creativity & Innovation
- Design Concepts I
- Design Concepts II
- Design Realisation I
- Design Realisation II
- Ergonomics & Design I
- Ergonomics & Design II
- Lighting Concepts
- Creative Practice
- Digital Clay
- Design Futures for Product and Transport Design
- Design Project Context
- External Brief for Product Design
- Professional Project 1
- Professional Project 2
- Professional Project 2 II
In addition to the above, all students are required to successfully complete General Studies modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency, as well as fulfill credit requirements for Co-Curricular Activities.
Our exciting Product Design programme will equip you with all the skills necessary to work in both consultancies and manufacturing companies, whether they be a consumer product or automotive. Graduates from this Staffordshire University programme work worldwide designing everything from cars to game peripherals, gym equipment to furniture, and toys to lighting! Other graduates are working in the related fields of marketing, computer games design, model making, graphic design, and teaching. During the programme, we carefully introduce you to the key attributes of entrepreneurship, enterprise, and employability. This gives you a real insight into what is required in industry and gives you important networking opportunities. Alongside this, live projects and visiting lecturers further reinforce this. In the final year, during our Design Futures project, you will improve your self-promotion skills, refine your portfolio and have a mock interview with an industry recruitment consultant. This will make you interview-ready and prepare you well for the challenges ahead. Further to this we also support you after graduation, with job-seeking support. We want you to succeed, and encourage graduates to visit and use our social networking sites for peer support.