With rapid advances in networked computer technology during the past decade and extraordinary growth of the Internet, the world has become increasingly interconnected and increasingly more complex and vulnerable. Companies, businesses, and governments make all efforts needed to ensure the security and integrity of their systems.
The Program has a practical emphasis that will prepare students for a career that requires detailed knowledge of technical security issues. Students will be able to understand how computer systems are designed, secured and evaluated. The curriculum offers many areas for specialization including securing networks and allied infrastructure, securing applications and databases, information systems auditing, business continuity planning, and forensic practices.
Graduates could work as technical security consultants or information security analysts, administrators or architects in companies, government agencies, banks, healthcare units, for e-commerce, or the defense sector.
Graduates of this programs can assist employers in:
- Risk and vulnerability assessment of an organization IT systems
- Selection, configuration, and employment of appropriate technical solutions and components for protecting information assets
- Forensic analysis of various types of computing devices and storage media
- Implementation of IT security regulations and standards
- Mitigation and management of threats posed to information systems
- Recognized General Education Diploma or its equivalent.
- English proficiency equivalent to IELTS 5.5 or TOEFL-iBT 65.
Applicants who do not have official IELTS or TOEFL scores are required to take MCBS English Placement Test. Based on the scores obtained in this test, students are allowed to begin their credit courses or register in the foundation program.
Duration: any Bachelor degree requires about 8 semesters or 4 years
Total credits: 120
Program delivery: 12-15 credits per normal semester and 6 credits per summer semester
Internship: placement on a 3-month internship
Courses: apart from courses closely related to the Program subject matter, students take general education courses (59 credits):
- Communication skills: 12 credits
- Humanities: 9 credits
- Social Science: 9 credits
- Mathematics and Science: 17 credits
- General Business requirements: 9 credits
- Free electives: 3 credits
"The program will prepare students for successful and productive careers as security professionals in both industry and government. Information Security is a critical issue that needs to be addressed in order to develop the right security experts for the future. Students joining this program will be trained in the expertise of identification, detection, and prevention of vulnerability and exploitation of information systems".
Dr. Basant Kumar, Dept. of Mathematics & Computer Science at MCBS
About the School
The Modern College of Business and Science (MCBS) in the Sultanate of Oman is a private College licensed by the Ministry of Higher Education and established in 1996. In 2004, MCBS sought institution a ... Read More