Electrical and Electronics Engineering
The objective of the Bachelor of Science in Electrical-Electronics Engineering Program at MEF University is to educate its graduates to become among the most sought after electrical and electronics engineers in the global market place, the most wanted graduate students, or thriving entrepreneurs. This will be achieved by preparing them with a strong foundation in basic sciences and computing along with a broad knowledge of electrical and electronics engineering discipline to identify and solve novel engineering problems including planning, design, and implementation of processes leading to demonstrate products. The graduates will be specialized in a selected area or cover a larger selection of topics extending to interdisciplinary fields with practical experience, excellent communication skills and a keen understanding of business.
Electrical and Electronics Engineering Program at MEF University is designed to give a solid foundation in electrical and electronics engineering supported by mathematics, natural sciences, social sciences and engineering background in general.
The Electrical and Electronics Engineering program combines electrical, electronics, telecommunications and control courses. The compulsory courses such as digital system design, microprocessors, signals and systems, microelectronics circuits and systems, digital signal processing are coupled with laboratories to provide students with hands-on experiences on electronics and telecommunication systems. The program also provides a number of compulsory computer courses such as computer programming, computing for EE and object-oriented programming, as well as a number of elective courses such as VLSI design, sensor networks, computer networks, digital design with FPGA and sensor networks.
The program includes advanced mathematics for engineering, physics, probability, statistics, electromagnetic fields, digital signal processing as compulsory courses to provide students with a strong theoretical foundation. In addition to these compulsory courses, the program provides a large number of elective courses including communication theory, digital electronics, digital design with FPGA, image and video processing, computer networks, digital speech processing, wireless communication, VLSI design, microwave design, and embedded systems. Students may select at least three power engineering electives to gain eligibility for independent consultancy engineering services (S.M.M.).
The program emphasizes the importance of personal and professional ethics, business and management leadership. The summer practice or internship during sophomore and junior years will give students the chance to familiarize them with electrical and electronics engineering applications and working conditions after graduation.
The program has been prepared to satisfy ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) and ENAEE (European Network for Accreditation of Engineering Education) criteria.
The graduates of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Program are involved in a wide variety of technology ranging from huge global positioning systems which can pinpoint the location of a moving vehicle to gigantic electrical power generators. These engineers are responsible for designing, developing, testing as well as supervising the production of electrical and electronic equipment and machinery. Broadcast and telecommunication systems, electric motors, controls of machinery, lights and wiring in building complexes, vehicles, aircraft, radar and navigation systems, power generation, control and transmission devices which are used by electric utilities are all examples of equipment built by these engineers.
The graduates of the Electrical Engineering Program have the opportunity to select jobs from a variety of companies in Turkey and abroad as there is a great demand for well-educated EE. Telecommunication companies such as Turkcell, Avea, Vodafone, and Netas, consumer electronics companies such as Arçelik, Vestel employ a large number of graduates each year. Our graduates may prefer to pursue an academic track at MEF, or other universities and research laboratories in Turkey or abroad. MEF University encourages and supports her graduates to start-up their own companies as well. Graduates have the chance to join well-funded research projects in Turkey, Europe, and the US, as the number of ICT projects is gradually increasing in the world.
Program Educational Objectives
Electrical and Electronics Engineering department identified the following list of educational objectives for the undergraduate program, which describes our vision for what our students will be achieving in their careers five years after their graduations:
- Graduates will have a strong background in basic sciences and engineering while conducting their professional work either in academia or industry.
- Graduates will successfully solve electrical and electronics engineering problems by using modern engineering techniques, skills, and tools.
- Graduates will show leadership with their innovative and entrepreneurial skills with consideration to ethical and environmental issues.
- A skill to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering.
- A skill to design and conduct experiments, in addition to analyze and interpret data.
- A skill to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs.
- A skill to function on multi-disciplinary teams.
- A skill to describe, formulate and solve engineering problems.
- An understanding of professional and ethical obligation.
- A skill to communicate effectively.
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context.
- Recognition of the need for and an ability to engage in life-long learning.
- Knowledge of contemporary issues.
- A skill to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
Course Plan and Prerequisites
Undergraduate Course List
All electrical and electronics engineering students must work as an intern in order to understand the professional work environments, application of the knowledge gained in school to practice and gain access to such environments. Out of the two summer practice, every 20 workdays, first shall be completed at the end of the sophomore (2nd) year and the second at the end of the junior (3rd) year.
How to Apply?
- Applicants need to be graduates of high school equivalent to Turkish high schools, or in the last year of such a high school. Applicants who have not yet received their high school diploma may only get a conditional acceptance.
- Prospective students may apply with an acceptable high school diploma (those in the last year of high school, with their transcript), international diploma (such as IB, Abitur etc), national high school exit/university entrance examination score, or with an international university entrance examination score (such as SAT, GCE, ACT). The full list of acceptable diplomas/examination and their minimum scores are available on the university’s website.
Applicants should complete the online application form. Applicants need to attach the following documents:
- Copy of the identity information page of their passport
- Passport style (portrait) photograph
- High school diploma (if available)
- High school transcript
- Any recognized high school exit/university entrance examination score result, if available
- Proof of English proficiency, if available
- Statement of motivation
MEF University is an English medium university. All programs apart from Law are 100% in English. The Law program is 30% in English.
Students need to demonstrate their English proficiency before beginning in academic programs. The level of English proficiency required is equivalent to TOEFL iBT 80. Only internationally or nationally recognized examinations are accepted as proof of proficiency. The recognized examinations and their equivalences are as follows:
- TOEFL iBT: 80
- P.T.E. Academic: 67, CAE: C, CPE: C
- U.D.S., K.P.D.S., Y.D.S. (Turkish governmental examinations): 65
Applicants, who do not have acceptable proof of English proficiency at the time of application or university enrollment, sit the MEF University English Language Placement and Proficiency Examination. Students who do not pass the Proficiency Examination will need to study in the MEF University English Language Preparatory Program until they meet the required level.
Applicants to the Law program who are not native Turkish speakers or graduates of Turkish medium high school are required to present proof of Turkish language proficiency (TÖMER C).
- The acceptance decisions are given to the applicants meeting the application criteria based on the relative merit of applications. Applicants are informed about their acceptance decision and a scholarship offer and asked to confirm their intention to enroll with a payment of a deposit of USD 250 on the university’s bank account. The deposit is counted towards the first semester’s tuition fee but is non-refundable in case of non-enrolment. After payment of the deposit, an official letter of acceptance is issued. Accepted students are solely responsible for their student visa applications.
Accepted students will make their university enrolment during the dates announced by the university on its website. The following documents are required for university enrollment:
- Original of high school diploma and its notarized Turkish translation if it is not issued in Turkish or English
- High School Diploma Equivalency Certificate from the Turkish Ministry of Education (or Educational Attaché of Turkish Consulate)
- Original of high school transcript
- Original scorecard of test scores (high school exit/university entrance) used to support the application, if any
- Photocopies of the applicant's passport identification information page and the page containing student visa. The student visa is compulsory for all international students. It can be obtained from a Turkish Consulate in the applicant's home country by presenting the letter of acceptance.
- Photocopy of the first seven pages of the Residence Permit (obtained from the Bureau of Foreign Residence)
- 4 passport size (4.5 x 6 cm) photos (taken in the last 6 months, clearly identifying the person)
- Receipt of tuition fee payment
- Original scorecard of recognized language proficiency exam (if available)
Applicants who fail to complete the enrolment process within the announced dates or to provide the required documents, forfeit their right to study at MEF University.
About the School
MEF University, which admitted its first students in the academic year 2014-2015, aims to become a university that keeps entrepreneurship, innovative thinking and creativity in the foreground and has ... Read More